Safety Inspection & Certificate
CARS, TRUCKS, MOTORCYLES, AND MOTOR HOMES
A safety standards certificate confirms that your vehicle met the minimum safety standards on the date the certificate was issued.
It is not a warranty or guarantee of the vehicle’s condition.
To get a certificate, your vehicle must first pass an inspection at an inspection station (such as D&D Auto Services), licensed by the Ministry of Transportation (MTO).
You need a safety standard inspection and certificate if you are:
- Registering a rebuilt vehicle
- Transferring a used vehicle to a new owner who is not your spouse
- Registering a vehicle in Ontario that was not bought in Ontario
- Changing the status of a vehicle from unfit to fit.
WHEN IS A SAFETY INSPECTION & YELLOW STICKER REQUIRED?
MTO Annual Inspections and Stickers
Trucks, Trailers, Motorhomes, Commercial Vehicles.
Your Vehicle and Trailer will need an Annual Inspection and Sticker if
- the total gross weight, registered gross weight (RGW) or manufacturer’s gross vehicle weight rating (MGVWR) of the vehicle exceeds 4,500 kg or 9,920 lbs.
- the combined weight of the vehicle and towed trailer or converter dolly exceeds 4,500 kg or 9,920 lbs.
An annual inspection is valid for 12 months and must be renewed prior to expiring to avoid hefty fines. The inspection is put in place to make sure each vehicle is in a safe condition to be operated which helps reduce collisions caused by mechanical defects.
If you own a vehicle and/or trailer in Ontario which fit the descriptions above and doesn’t have a Valid Yellow Annual Safety Inspection Sticker, we recommend you have your vehicle/trailer inspected as soon as possible to avoid fines or an incident caused by an unsafe vehicle, and repair any items that do not comply with current safety standards. Once your vehicle/trailer has passed the inspection, we will affix the Yellow Annual Safety Inspection Sticker to the vehicle/trailer, and you are ready to go, safe and legal.
WHAT DO WE INSPECT ?
- Road Test
- Lights & Lenses
- Wipers & Washers
- High Beam Indicator
- Emergency Flashers
- Seat Belts
- Seat Mounts & Adjust
- Brake Pedal Pad
- Gas Pedal & Linkage
- Neutral Safety
- Tilt Wheel, Column, and Box
- Bumpers & Body Panels
- Headlamp Aim
- Frame & Unibody
- Hinges & Latches
- Engine & Trans Mounts
- Tires & Rims
- Wheel Nuts/Studs
- Exhaust System Leaks & Hangers
- Fuel System & Components
- Brake Lines & Hoses
- Steering & Suspension
- Wheel Bearings
- Coil Springs
- PS Components & Fluid Level
- Hydraulic Brake Components
- Mechanical Brake Components
- Brake Drums & Discs
- Brake Pads & Shoes
- Master Cylinder & Fluid
- Vac or Hydraulic Brake Assist
- Emergency Brake System
- Report Requirements and Recommendations
BOOK AN APPOINTMENT
PLEASE USE THE FORM BELOW TO BOOK AN APPOINTMENT